Sunday, September 23, 2007

Chatterboxes at Interviews

One thing that caught my attention when reading through the articles was that interviews are more of a reflection of your overall personality, and that it is better to be yourself rather than being strictlly prepared. I always thought that you want to be prepared and talk as much about your accomplishments during the interview as possible. After reading the articles, I noticed that I was absolutely wrong.
Talking to much can be overwhelming at times when having a conversation with friends or family. Interviews are no different. A mix of preparation and knowledge about the company should be enough for the interview. Rehersing every single possible question that may be asked is too much, even though a little practice does make you less nervous. The article "Avoid Being A Chatterbox During Interviews" shows that the biggest misttake made during an interview is talking to much. The less I think about, the more it makes sense. If I were giving an interview, I definitely would not want to higher a person that talks to much or spoke for hours about himself/herself. It is common sense. Interviewers want to a real judge of your personality. If they were to only base the job off of background and academics, interviews would not be needed and they could higher people based on their resume. The article made me realize that interviewers are people too, and want to higher not only a person that will be good for the company, but also a person that has a good personality.

No comments: