Sunday, November 18, 2007

Unique Interviews

Reading this article was very refreshing. I have been in situations where I am interviewing and competing for a position, not necessarily a job, in a program. What upsets me is that most interviewers cannot get a good sense of persons personality in 10 minutes. It's hard to see through the "BS" within that short of time. Whereas a person may have a little more experience in terms of the field, but hates to work with others and gets stressed easily. I would rather hire the person with a great personality that is willing to learn and work along with others.
What really caught my eye was at the beginning of the article where it said investment bankers have been practicing the day-long interviews. I have heard that one of the most prestigious investment banking firms, The Lehman Brothers, holds 10 hour to 2 day interviews. When I interviewed with Vanguard Group they said that they usually hold full day interviews where they take a tour of the firm and the also ask questions. I am happy to hear that because even though I have some experience, I feel as though I am approachable and have a better chance at getting the position if I can talk to the employer for more than 10 minutes.

No comments: